A Thrive in the Kitchen Recipe by SMH Executive Chef Omar Mattei
Welcome to Thrive in the Kitchen, our monthly cooking series focused on easy recipes that promote overall health and wellness for cancer patients. This month, our team shows you how to make Quinoa Stir Fry with Bok Choy.
This easy stir-fry recipe features gluten-free quinoa and a variety of delicious vegetables. A great vegetarian source of protein and fiber, quinoa is partnered with bok choy, carrots and red bell peppers to really boost the immune system, lower blood pressure and help the body break down potential carcinogens.
Now, let's get cooking with Thrive in the Kitchen.
Quinoa Stir Fry with Bok Choy
Servings: 4 portions (9 ounces / portion)
Total prep and cook time: 20 minutes
2 pounds red quinoa; dry
1 bok choy; chopped
½ cup sesame oil
1 small carrot; diced
1 medium red bell pepper; cored, seeded and chopped
2 tsp fresh ginger; grated
2 garlic cloves; minced
2 cups snow peas; trimmed
2 cups scallions; chopped
¼ cup fresh cilantro; chopped
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup butternut squash; diced
Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions and set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add diced carrots.
- Cook carrots until they are soft, about 1 minute.
- Add red bell pepper and butternut squash. Cook, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, ginger, and snow peas and cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute.
- Stir in soy sauce and scallions.
- Add cooked quinoa and stir.
- Add chopped bok choy, and stir constantly until it is evenly distributed, about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro; salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well. Divide between 4 bowls, and serve warm.
Serving Size: 9 ounces
Fat: 14 grams
Sodium: 1,284 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 42 grams
Protein: 12 grams
What is “Thrive in the Kitchen”?
Sarasota Memorial’s Brian D. Jellison Cancer Institute works to ensure cancer patients and their loved ones receive the caring support and effective tools they need. Among those tools is Thrive in the Kitchen, a monthly video cooking series spotlighting easy recipes designed to support overall health and wellness for cancer patients. Each recipe is custom created by Sarasota Memorial's executive chef and registered dietician team. The series is part of the Cancer Institute's Thrive Integrated Cancer program, which offers oncology-specific wellness classes, rehabilitation, nutrition, counseling and other services for those living with cancer. For more information on our Thrive program, call 941-917-7827 or visit smh.com/thrive.