Orthopedic Joint & Spine Care
Whether your joint, spine or other orthopedic problems stem from trauma, injury, illness or aging, Sarasota Memorial’s comprehensive Orthopedic Services program aims to get you back to living a pain free, active life.
Sarasota Memorial offers the latest diagnostics for spine and joint problems, as well as pre-habilitation, surgical and nonsurgical treatments, pain management, inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, home health care, and medically integrated performance and wellness classes.
Would you like to know more about our Joint Replacement Center?
Patients benefit from the Sarasota Memorial Joint Replacement Center's team-based approach and the continuity of care they can expect from a healthcare system with the region's greatest depth and breadth of care. Our team of Orthopedic surgeons, anesthesiologists, Orthopedic nurses, physical and occupational therapists, Pain Management specialists, case managers and care navigator work together and with each patient to ensure the best, customized care.
Consistently recognized for excellence in joint and spine care, Sarasota Memorial is among the top five hospitals for hip/knee surgery in Florida and among the top 100 in the nation for demonstrating the lowest complication rates in Medicare patients. (medicare.gov, March 2018)
Located on the top floor of SMH’s Courtyard Tower, our 36-bed Orthopedics Unit offers spacious private rooms, with a view of the city and Sarasota Bay, along with many of the comforts of home, including flat-screen TVs, free wireless Internet and a private alcove for overnight guests.
Information & Referrals
For a referral to one of Sarasota Memorial's Orthopedic surgeons, please call our HealthLine at 941-917-7777. For non-urgent questions, please call our Orthopedic nurse navigator at 941-917-7356.
Conditions We Treat
Sarasota Memorial’s Orthopedic specialists evaluate and treat a wide range of joint and orthopedic injuries and disorders, from common arthritis to complex spinal-cord injuries. These include:
- ACL injury
- Broken and fractured bones
- Hip fracture
- Hip pain, injury or disorder requiring hip replacement
- Knee pain, injury or disorder requiring knee replacement
- Meniscal tears
- Orthopedic oncology
- Shoulder pain, injury or disorder requiring knee replacement
- Spinal injury
- Spinal stenosis
- Trochanteric bursitis
Orthopedic Services at SMH
Some of our Orthopedic services and treatments include:
Orthopedics Care Team
Led by Medical Director and Orthopedic Surgeon Edward Stolarksi, MD, the multidisciplinary Ortho team includes surgeons nationally recognized for their expertise in joint replacements, complex joint revisions and minimally invasive surgeries for hips, knees, spines, shoulders and other joints. The team is among the most experienced in Florida, collectively performing more than 4,500 Orthopedic and Neurosurgical procedures annually and providing specialized rehabilitation to more than 10,000 people each year.
Why Choose SMH?
- Sarasota Memorial is one of the top five hospitals for hip/knee surgery in Florida and among the top 50 in the nation for demonstrating the lowest (best) complication rates in Medicare patients, as reported by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid (CMS) in its latest Hospital Compare website update (July 2018).
- SMH is the only hospital in Florida to have consistently earned the federal CMS's highest five-star rating for overall quality and safety since the rating system launched in 2016.
- Sarasota Memorial was named among the Top 100 Hospitals in the US by IBM Watson Health (2019). Our superior patient outcomes and quality rankings consistently place us among America’s best hospitals.
- Sarasota Memorial earned “high performer” ratings for hip replacement and knee replacements — the only two Orthopedics-related conditions/procedures evaluated — in U.S. News' 2018-2019 “Best Hospitals” report, placing it among the top 12 percent of hospitals in the nation in these categories.
- SMH was named a Center of Excellence for hip and knee replacement by DNV Healthcare, one of the nation's leading hospital accreditation organizations.
- SMH nurses maintain Magnet Recognition, the nation's highest honor for excellence in nursing.
- Sarasota Memorial is recognized as a Center of Distinction for Knee and Hip Replacement and Spine Surgery by Blue Cross and Blue Shield, and as a Center of Distinction for Spinal Fusion by Cigna.