Bloodless surgery can offer many benefits, including fewer complications, shorter hospital stays, quicker recoveries and decreased risk of allergic reaction and infection.
To learn more about our bloodless surgery options or for help choosing a surgeon who offers transfusion-free procedures, call 941-917-7777.
Bloodless Surgery Services
We understand that choosing not to have blood transfusion during surgery is a personal decision. At Sarasota Memorial, patients can choose from a growing menu surgical services that are transfusion-free.
The Sarasota Memorial Bloodless Surgery program uses specialized equipment and blood-management techniques as alternatives to blood transfusions during surgical procedures. These include:
- Minimally invasive and robotic surgery, which use meticulous surgical techniques to minimize blood loss.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy to boost blood’s oxygen prior to surgery, so patients can better withstand procedures.
- Cell savers, which recycle blood lost during surgery.
- Hemostatic drug therapy, which uses medication to assist with blood clotting.
- Electro-cautery to stop vessels from bleeding.
- The Aquamantys system to reduce blood loss and seal blood vessels in soft tissue and bone during surgery.
The SMH Bloodless Surgery team features highly skilled surgeons, anesthesiologists, hematologists, nurses and other medical specialists with experience in "no blood" medical management. These specialists offer transfusion-free surgeries across a variety of medical disciplines, including Orthopedic, Thoracic (lung cancer & other cancers in the chest area), Cardiology, Vascular, Obstetrics and Gynecology, and General Surgery.
Bloodless Surgery Options at SMH
- Total hip/knee replacements
- Hip/knee fracture repairs
- Arthroscopic procedures
- Lung cancer surgical treatment
- Thoracic cancer surgical treatment
- Hernia surgery and complex hernia surgery
- Gynecological surgery scope
- Hysterectomy (laparoscopic and vaginal)
- Pelvic floor repair and other urogynecological surgeries
- Vaginal repair