Local Focus, National Acclaim
Sarasota Memorial aims to offer our community the highest-quality healthcare and best patient experience in the nation. Here are a few of the many accomplishments that recognize our focus on your care.
Awards & Honors
Named among Top 100 Hospitals in US, 2019
- Highest 5-Star rating from Medicare for quality and safety, 2019
- Sarasota Memorial is the only hospital in Florida to have consistently earned the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid's highest 5-star rating for overall quality and safety since the rating system launched in 2016. Sarasota Memorial's Nursing & Rehabilitation Center and Home Care program also earned a 5-star rating from the federal government.
"A" Grade for Patient Safety, 2018
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital is one of the 100 Top Hospitals in the US, named by IBM Watson Health in 2019. Chosen from 2,752 hospitals across the country, the Top 100 Hospitals outperformed peer-group hospitals on all evaluated clinical and operational performance benchmarks.
U.S. News Top Performer, 2018-19
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital received four consecutive “A” grades for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group, a national organization that evaluates hospitals' efforts to protect patients from preventable injuries and harm, since SMH began participating in Leapfrog's survey in 2016.
Society of Thoracic Surgeons highest ranking in all categories, 2018
- High Performer (top 12 percent in the nation) in the following evaluated conditions/procedures:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Heart Bypass Surgery
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Lung Cancer Surgery
- Colon Cancer Surgery
- Hip Replacement
- Knee Replacement
- U.S. News "Best Nursing Home"
Sarasota Memorial's heart program is an accredited American Heart Association Cardiovascular Center of Excellence. Sarasota Memorial was the first in Florida and only the fourth in the US to earn this designation for exemplary comprehensive cardiovascular care.
Press Ganey Patient Experience Award
- Earned the highest ratings from The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) for patient care and clinical outcomes in isolated aortic valve replacement (AVR), coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), combination AVR/CABG, isolated mitral valve replacement/repair (MVRR) and combination MVRR/CABG. Sarasota Memorial was one of only three participating cardiac surgery programs in the US and Canada to earn the highest rating (three stars) across the board, in all five evaluated categories.
Gallup Great Workplace, 2018
- SMH's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) was honored with the 2017 Press Ganey Guardian Of Excellence Award for ranking in the top 5% of NICUs nationwide for patient experience, based on patient surveys conducted by Press Ganey Associates.
Designated as a Baby-Friendly Hospital (2018), the first hospital in southwest Florida—and among a select group in the nation—to earn the designation from Baby-Friendly USA Inc., part of a global initiative by World Health Organization and United Nations Children’s Fund to promote mother-baby bonding, successful breastfeeding and best practices in maternity care.
Sarasota Memorial is designated as a Gold Standard Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR), one of the largest and most influential medical associations in the U.S.
Sarasota Memorial's Breast Health Center is a Certified Quality Breast Center of Excellence, as designated by the National Quality Measures for Breast Centers (NQMBC) program.
ACR Lung Cancer Screening Center
- Sarasota Memorial is one of just 39 organizations worldwide to win Gallup's Great Workplace Award. This award honors the world's best workplaces for creating an environment and culture that inspires employee commitment and engagement.
Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the most prestigious distinction for nursing excellence and high-quality patient care.
SMH Nurse Residency Program is accredited with distinction by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Research indicates that residency programs can increase job satisfaction, reduce nurse turnover and improve clinical competence, which ultimately impacts safety and quality.
Certifications as a Comprehensive Stroke Center and a Hip & Knee Replacement Center of Excellence from DNV Healthcare, one of the nation’s leading accrediting organizations.
Joint Commission certification for Congestive Heart Failure program.
State certified as a Comprehensive Stroke Center.
American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get with the Guidelines-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award.
Full three-year accreditation for Cancer Care Services from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer. Sarasota Memorial has maintained continuous Commission on Cancer accreditation since 1988.
Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF) for Comprehensive Rehabilitation and Specialty Stroke programs.
Designated as a NICHE health system for our commitment to excellence in elder care. NICHE, or Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders, is the premier national geriatric nursing program addressing the needs of hospitalized older adults (65 and older).
SMH's Bariatric and Metabolic Center is accredited as a higher level “Comprehensive Center” under the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program.
Gold Beacon Award of Excellence for the Cardiac Acute Telemetry Unit and Silver Beacon Award for the Critical Care Unit from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses.
Sarasota Memorial's main campus Emergency Care Center is the only emergency department in Florida to earn the Emergency Nurses Association's 2018 Lantern Award for excellent practice and innovative performance.
Named one of the American Hospital Association’s "Most Wired" tech-savvy hospitals in the nation for pioneering IT systems to promote security and safety.
Accolades from insurers:
- Sarasota Memorial is designated as a Lung Cancer Screening Center by the American College of Radiology. This elite distinction recognizes facilities that have committed to practice safe, effective diagnostic care for individuals at the highest risk for lung cancer.
Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics Center of Excellence for Laboratory Services.
- Florida Blue Distinction for Cardiac Care, Spine Surgery and Hip/Knee Replacement.
- Florida Blue Distinction Center+ for Maternity Care.
- Aetna Institutes of Quality for Cardiovascular Surgery, Cardiac Intervention and Cardiac Rhythm.
- Cigna recognition for Cardiac Care, Hip Replacement, Pulmonology and Stroke.