Breast Cancer Care
More than 266,000 US women are expected to be diagnosed with an invasive breast cancer this year, making it the second most common cancer among women.
The top risk factors for developing breast cancer are being a woman and aging. About one in eight US women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime, yet a man’s lifetime risk of breast cancer is about one in 1,000. If a woman has a first-degree relative (mother, sister, daughter) who has been diagnosed with breast cancer, her risk of breast cancer nearly doubles.
Breast Cancers We Commonly Treat
- Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (IDC)
- Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC)
- Inflammatory Breast Cancer
- Male Breast Cancer
- Paget's Disease of the Nipple
- Phyllodes Tumors of the Breast
- Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Ductal Carcinoma In Situ (DCIS)
- Lobular Carcinoma In Situ (LCIS)
- Other malignancies of the breast
- Non-malignant breast diseases
Navigating Breast Cancer
Need help navigating your cancer journey? Contact Breast Cancer Nurse Navigator Veronica Martinez at 941-917-3377 or email@example.com.
Breast Cancer Treatments
At Sarasota Memorial, we offer a full spectrum of Breast Health Services, including screenings and advanced imaging options to detect breast abnormalities, as well as breast cancer treatment and care beyond treatment, ranging from nurse navigators to oncology-specific wellness programs.
- Total mastectomy (removal of the entire breast)
- Bilateral mastectomy (removal of both breasts)
- Partial mastectomy
- Modified mastectomy, skin-sparing mastectomy and nipple-sparing mastectomy
- Breast reconstructive surgery
- Integrative & supportive care therapies
- Radiation therapy (by referral)
- Targeted Drug Therapy
- Hormone therapy
Breast Cancer Review Board
Sarasota Memorial’s Breast Cancer Review Board is a multidisciplinary team of physicians and other care providers who meet regularly to discuss individual breast-cancer cases, bringing the full attention of our entire oncology team to each of these cases. This collaborative approach ensures our patients have the most comprehensive care plans, custom developed by a group of experts.
Cancer Care Beyond Treatment
At Sarasota Memorial Cancer Institute, we treat more than just the disease. Our care focuses on the whole person, helping patients—and their families—through the physical, emotional and mental effects of cancer. This integrated cancer care approach includes:
Accreditation & Honors
- The Sarasota Memorial Cancer Institute carries the nation's highest level of accreditation by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (CoC). It has maintained continuous CoC accreditation since 1988.
- Sarasota Memorial is designated as a Gold Standard Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR), one of the largest and most influential medical associations in the U.S.
More Resources for Patients and Caregivers