Brian D. Jellison Cancer Institute Care Teams
For more information on our services and providers, call 941-262-7670, or browse our online directory to search for one of our cancer care specialists by name or specialty.
Each patient in the integrated cancer program at Sarasota Memorial’s Brian D. Jellison Cancer Institute is matched with a team of specialists to leverage the full extent of our providers’ experience and expertise in diagnosing and treating cancers. At the center of this multi-disciplinary team-based approach is the patient: Physician rosters and care plans are specifically tailored to the patient’s needs, goals and case details.
The Jellison Cancer Institute leadership team comprises a medical director, administrative director and oncology leaders to ensure collaborative decision-making that leverages clinical and operational expertise.
At the helm is Jellison Cancer Institute Medical Director Richard Brown, MD, who is board certified in Hematology and Oncology. Dr. Brown oversees the medical standards and practices that guide our inpatient and outpatient Oncology services, Breast Health Center and Cancer Registry.
Institute Administrative Director Kelly Batista, MHA, partners with the medical director to support the program's operations and strategic initiatives, ensuring delivery of high-quality cancer care.
The oncology leadership team also includes experts in specific tumor sites.
Kenneth Meredith, MD, medical director of the gastrointestinal surgical oncology program, works with primary care physicians, gastroenterologists and oncologists throughout the region to ensure patients have access to the most innovative and successful treatments available for gastrointestinal cancers. Dr. Meredith is a pioneer in minimally invasive and robotic procedures for management of complex GI cancers and conditions.
Breast Oncology Program Director Russel Novak, MD, oversees breast cancer services — from screening through treatment services. A board-certified general surgeon with specialized expertise in the treatment of benign tumors and malignant breast diseases, Dr. Novak supports patient-centered care processes for those undergoing breast cancer treatment.
Jellison Cancer Institute providers include medical and radiation oncologists, oncology surgeons, interventional radiologists and other specialists. Other dedicated care team members include cancer-certified nurses, Palliative Care specialists, researchers, educators, case managers, rehab therapists and others to address physical, emotional and psychosocial needs of our patients. Click here for our roster of oncology physician team members.
- Oncology Nurses – Our nurses’ advanced degrees, national oncology nursing certifications and commitment to their profession have helped Sarasota Memorial continuously maintain Magnet status from the American Nurses Credentialing Center, the nation’s highest honor for nursing excellence.
- Oncology Navigators – Dedicated to your cancer type, navigators help patients sort through the sometimes confusing and complex process of cancer care. That includes educating and advocating for patients and families, answering questions about treatment plans, coordinating tests and treatments between providers, and providing ongoing support.
- Genetic Education and Counseling – Our board-certified genetic counselor is trained and experienced in cancer risk assessment and available to review your personal or family history of cancer. For information or an appointment, call 941-262-7570.
- Oncology-certified Counselors – Provide support for psychosocial concerns related to a cancer diagnosis. Help with identifying strategies for effective coping and adjustment to disease. Help with problem solving and identifying cancer-specific resources. For information, contact an Oncology-certified Social Worker at 941-262-7574.
- Dedicated Oncology Pharmacists – A team of oncology certified pharmacists work alongside clinicians and medical staff to ensure patient receive the best interventions and you get the right medications when you need them.
- Certified Tumor Registrars – Tumor Registrars take a summary of your medical history, cancer diagnosis, treatment plan and disease status for the Cancer Registry, which follows every patient treated at Sarasota Memorial throughout his/her lifetime in order to discover trends that will advance research and improve clinical care. For more information, review our recent Annual Report.