Vascular Surgery & Services
Sarasota Memorial’s multidisciplinary approach to patient care ensures that those with vascular, venous and arterial disease benefit from the team’s shared expertise and have access to the comprehensive diagnostic services and treatments they need.
Recognized for their expertise in traditional, minimally invasive and endovascular surgical treatments, our experienced vascular medicine specialists work closely with the patient and specialists in cardiology, neurology, interventional radiology, interventional cardiology and rehabilitation to prevent strokes and deliver customized care for a range of conditions affecting the veins, arteries and lymphatic system.
For more information or for help with a physician referral, call 941-917-7777.
Vascular Conditions We Treat
Sarasota Memorial’s vascular and endovascular teams treat a wide range of conditions — from common to complex — including:
- Abdominal aneurysm
- Aortic aneurysm
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease
- Blood clots (thrombosis)
- Brain aneurysm
- Carotid artery disease / carotid stenosis / cerebrovascular disease
- Congenital vascular conditions
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD)
- Gangrene of the limbs
- Peripheral artery disease (PAD)
- Peripheral vascular disease (PVD)
- Pulmonary embolism
- Removascular disease
- Spider veins
- Thoracic aneurysm
- Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
- Varicose veins (venous insufficiency)
- Venous disease /congenital malformations
- Venous ulcers and tumors
- Vertebral artery disease
- Visceral vascular disease (renal, mesenteric, portal / hepatic)
Information & Referrals
For more information about vascular surgery and other services at Sarasota Memorial, or for help with a physician referral, please call 941-917-7777. Click here to search our online directory for vascular specialists and vascular surgeons.
Vascular Diagnostic & Treatment Services at SMH
- Angioplasty and stenting (arteries of the legs, kidneys, intestine and pelvis)
- Carotid artery reconstruction
- Carotid artery angioplasty
- Carotid artery stenting
- Catheter-based treatments and interventions
- Cerebral arteriography
- Computerized tomography angiography
- Diagnostic angiograms
- Endovascular surgery
- Laser athrectomy
- Magnetic resonance angiography
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Non-invasive lab service
- Stent grafts
- Stroke prevention
- Thoracic endovascular aneurysm repair (TEVAR)
- TransCarotid Artery Revascularization (TCAR)
- Ultrasound (diagnostic arterial and venous ultrasound)
- Vascular bypass surgery
- Vein mapping and vein removal
- Video-assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery (VATS)
Why Choose SMH?
Sarasota Memorial’s endovascular and vascular surgical teams use advanced techniques for balloon angioplasty and stenting, blood clot removal and bypass surgery.
- Sarasota Memorial was named among 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals in US, in the 2021 Fortune/IBM Watson Health 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals list. SMH was the only Suncoast hospital that made the 2021 list.
- In addition to state-of-the-art diagnostic tools, SMH offers new, evolving treatments, including TransCarotid Artery Revascularization (TCAR). Sarasota Memorial was among the first hospitals in Florida to offer TCAR, a clinically proven, minimally invasive procedure to treat carotid artery disease and help prevent future strokes. TCAR potentially avoids some of the complications that can occur with other treatment options and is a safer alternative for patients deemed too high risk for carotid endarterectomy (the open surgery commonly used to treat severe carotid stenosis).
- SMH’s cardiac cath lab is equipped with the latest tools and technology.
- Accredited as an American Heart Association Cardiovascular Center of Excellence. Sarasota Memorial was the first in Florida and only the fourth in the US to earn this designation for exemplary comprehensive cardiovascular care.
- SMH earned top ratings in all 10 procedures and conditions evaluated in U.S. News's 2020-2021 “Best Hospitals” study, an achievement attained by only 37 hospitals in the nation.
- Sarasota Memorial is the only hospital in Florida to have consistently earned the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid's highest 5-star rating for overall quality and safety since the rating system launched in 2016.
Secondary Stroke / TIA prevention clinic
Heart failure treatment clinic