Important Policy Updates
As part of important safety measures we've instituted during the COVID-19 pandemic, Labor & Delivery patients will be tested for COVID-19. Upon entry to SMH, the support person must answer screening questions and will have their temperature checked. He/she must be 18 or older and must wear a face mask; those who refuse to wear a face mask in the hospital will be asked to leave. For more information, please click here. Also, please note the changes to our visitation policies:
- Labor & Delivery patients may have 1 support person. In the event a mother is transferred to SMH, a certified doula or community midwife also will be permitted.
- Mother-Baby patients may have 1 support person.
- Pediatrics and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) patients may have 2 parents/designated caregivers.
If you have questions about how these temporary changes may impact your birth experience, please call 941-313-0943. We encourage extended family, siblings and other loved ones to connect through apps such as WhatsApp and FaceTime or via phone, email or text. Click here for guidance on using these apps.
Services for Moms & Babies
From the most routine births to the most complex, no other hospital in southwest Florida is better equipped to help you deliver your baby (or babies) in the safest, most natural way possible.
Learn more about our Maternity Services!
Sarasota Memorial Hospital is nationally recognized for its maternity-obstetrical services, compassionate and skilled nursing team, breastfeeding support, high-risk pregnancy care and Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) for premature babies and other newborns needing critical care.
With the region’s only Obstetrical Emergency Care Center dedicated to pregnant women, SMH has board-certified OB hospitalists available around-the-clock to examine patients, handle emergencies and provide a safe delivery for laboring women who do not have a physician. Our team of obstetricians, certified nurse midwives, perinatologists, neonatologists and pediatric specialists, and our affiliation with Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, ensures mothers and children have access to the most advanced care in the nation, from pregnancy through pediatrics.
At SMH, expectant moms and their babies are in the best hands. And we will be here for you, at every step of your childbirth journey — before, during and after your delivery.
Have a question about our Maternity Services? Please call 941-917-5524.
Preparing for Childbirth & Parenthood
Important Note: As part of our ongoing efforts to protect our patients and community during the COVID-19 pandemic, in-person childbirth education classes and some support groups have been canceled temporarily. Instead, we are offering a limited number of childbirth education classes online, as well as alternative formats for our Mother-Baby support group. For post-birth lactation support, both online and in-person, small group options are available. Please click here to visit our Childbirth Education page for details.
To help families prepare for a new baby, Sarasota Memorial Hospital offers parenting, childbirth, breastfeeding and baby-care classes taught by certified childbirth educators and lactation counselors, as well as prenatal exercise classes at SMH’s HealthFit and specialized physical therapy for pregnant and postpartum women. To register for childbirth and parenting education classes, please visit our Childbirth Education calendar.
Family-centered Birth Experience
Our mother and baby services are housed on three dedicated floors of the Courtyard Tower. The facilities feature a full range of amenities, technologies and special services designed for the comfort and care of the whole family. (Watch the video below for a virtual tour.)
Birthing Suites for Labor & Delivery
- Softly lit labor and deliver rooms.
- Wireless fetal monitoring, so laboring moms can move about freely.
- Hydrotherapy tubs, birthing balls and squatting bars to ease labor pains naturally.
- Skin-to-skin contact for mother and baby immediately after delivery to promote bonding and breastfeeding success.
Dedicated Mother-Baby Unit
- Mom and baby remain together throughout the hospital stay to support successful breastfeeding and boost parent confidence in caring for baby.
- Room includes sleeping accommodations for dad or a supporting partner.
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Discharge celebration with commemorative newborn footprints certificate and a Sarasota Memorial T-shirt for baby.
- SMH nurses, certified as lactation consultants, provide one-on-one breastfeeding help and guidance during your stay.
- SMH was the first hospital in southwest Florida to earn the Baby-Friendly Hospital designation, which recognizes programs that promote mother-baby bonding, successful breastfeeding and best practices in maternity care.
Labor & Delivery Services
- Labor: Natural and safe deliveries, including vaginal deliveries after a previous Cesarean (VBAC).
- Custom childbirth plans: Experienced Labor and Delivery nurses work seamlessly with your doctor, nurse midwife, doula or personal support person to coach you during childbirth. Click here for a sample birth plan.
- Pain relief: If you feel you need pain-control medication, discuss options with your care providers. Epidural pain management, nitrous oxide and obstetric anesthesia are available.
- Newborn health checks: SMH offers newborn hearing screenings and screening for more than 52 rare metabolic, endocrine, enzymatic and other genetic disorders, as well as non-invasive Critical Congenital Heart Disease screening that measures oxygen in the blood.
Breastfeeding Help & New Parent Support
* Please see "Important Note" above.
Our support doesn’t end when you leave the hospital. Drop in to one of our casual Mother-Baby group meetings to connect with others on the mom journey while baby socializes, or stop by one of our three Latch Clinics for free breastfeeding help and support from an international board-certified lactation consultant. Look for upcoming dates and times on our calendar. For any-time breastfeeding support, please call SMH’s Breastfeeding Help Line at 941-917-7413.
Where you deliver your baby matters. At Sarasota Memorial, we're here for you, every step of the way.
For more information, please call 941-917-5524.