Services for Moms & Babies
From the most routine births to the most complex, Sarasota Memorial is equipped to help you deliver your baby (or babies) in the safest, most natural way possible.
Learn more about our Maternity Services!
Sarasota Memorial is nationally recognized for its maternity-obstetrical services, compassionate and skilled nursing team, breastfeeding support and high-risk pregnancy care. Located on the SMH-Sarasota Campus, our Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) serves premature babies and other newborns needing critical care.
With an Obstetrical Emergency Care Center dedicated to pregnant women, SMH-Sarasota has board-certified OB hospitalists available around-the-clock to examine patients, handle emergencies and provide a safe delivery for laboring women who do not have a physician. Our team of obstetricians, certified nurse midwives, perinatologists, neonatologists and pediatric specialists, and our affiliation with Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, ensure that mothers and children have access to the most advanced care in the nation, from pregnancy through pediatrics.
Expectant moms and their babies are in the best hands with Sarasota Memorial Maternity Services. And we'll be here for you at every step of your childbirth journey.
Have a question about our Maternity Services at SMH-Sarasota? Call 941-917-5524.
Preparing for Childbirth & Parenthood
To help families prepare for a new baby, Sarasota Memorial Hospital offers parenting, childbirth, breastfeeding and baby-care classes taught by certified childbirth educators and lactation counselors, as well as prenatal exercise classes at SMH’s HealthFit and specialized physical therapy for pregnant and postpartum women. To register for childbirth and parenting education classes, please visit our Childbirth Education calendar.
Family-centered Birth Experience
At SMH-Sarasota, our mother and baby services are housed on three dedicated floors of the Courtyard Tower. The facilities feature a full range of amenities, technologies and special services designed for the comfort and care of the whole family. (Check out the virtual tour video below to see for yourself!)
Birthing Suites for Labor & Delivery
- Softly lit labor and deliver rooms.
- Wireless fetal monitoring, so laboring moms can move about freely.
- Hydrotherapy tubs, birthing balls and squatting bars to ease labor pains naturally.
- Skin-to-skin contact for mother and baby immediately after delivery to promote bonding and breastfeeding success.
Dedicated Mother-Baby Unit
- Mom and baby remain together throughout the hospital stay to support successful breastfeeding and boost parent confidence in caring for baby.
- Room includes sleeping accommodations for dad or a supporting partner.
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Discharge celebration with commemorative newborn footprints certificate and a Sarasota Memorial T-shirt for baby.
- SMH nurses, certified as lactation consultants, provide one-on-one breastfeeding help and guidance during your stay. Click here to learn more about breastfeeding benefits and recommendations.
- SMH-Sarasota was the first hospital in southwest Florida to earn the Baby-Friendly Hospital designation, which recognizes programs that promote mother-baby bonding, successful breastfeeding and best practices in maternity care.
- For nursing mothers visiting the SMH-Sarasota Campus, we offer a private and convenient space for breastfeeding or pumping. The dedicated lactation room — available 24/7, unless there's an "In Use" sign on the door — is located on the second floor of Waldemere Tower, just beyond the Employee Health Clinic. The comfortable room features an Ameda breast pump and microwave (for steam-cleaning breast pump kits).
Labor & Delivery Services
- Labor: Natural and safe deliveries, including vaginal deliveries after a previous Cesarean (VBAC).
- Custom childbirth plans: Experienced Labor and Delivery nurses work seamlessly with your doctor, nurse midwife, doula or personal support person to coach you during childbirth. Click here for a sample birth plan.
- Pain relief: If you feel you need pain-control medication, discuss options with your care providers. Epidural pain management, nitrous oxide and obstetric anesthesia are available.
- Newborn health checks: SMH offers newborn hearing screenings and screening for more than 52 rare metabolic, endocrine, enzymatic and other genetic disorders, as well as non-invasive Critical Congenital Heart Disease screening that measures oxygen in the blood.
Breastfeeding Help & New Parent Support
Our support doesn’t end when you leave the hospital. Drop in to one of our casual Mother-Baby group meetings to connect with others on the mom journey while baby socializes, or stop by one of our three Latch Clinics for free breastfeeding help and support from an international board-certified lactation consultant.
Look for upcoming dates and times on our calendar. For any-time breastfeeding support, call SMH’s Breastfeeding Help Line at 941-917-7413.
Where you deliver your baby matters. At Sarasota Memorial, we're here for you, every step of the way.
For more information on delivering your baby at SMH-Sarasota, call 941-917-5524.