SARASOTA (April 4, 2017) – Sarasota Memorial Hospital was listed among America’s 100 top hospitals in 2017 by Becker’s Hospital Review.
Becker’s top hospital designation is awarded to hospitals and health systems that earn multiple rankings and awards from reputable sources, including the federal government’s Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Truven Health Analytics, Magnet accreditation, Healthgrades, The Leapfrog Group, and U.S. News & World Report. Sarasota Memorial earned high marks from all of them in 2016 and 2017.
“The awards we receive each year are due to the phenomenal team of people who believe in and support our public mission,” said Sarasota Memorial Hospital CEO David Verinder. “From our patient registration and nutrition teams to our physicians, clinicians, volunteers and Hospital Board, every single person in our organization is focused on providing the very best experience and outcomes for our patients.”
Founded in 1925, Sarasota Memorial Health Care System is one of the largest acute-care public hospitals in the nation, with more than 5,000 employees, 900 physicians and 900,000 inpatient and outpatient visits each year. Its flagship 819-bed acute-care hospital has been recognized consistently as one of the nation’s safest and best, with superior patient outcomes and a complete continuum of care – including a trauma center, urgent care clinics, physician groups, diagnostic laboratory and imaging centers, rehabilitation centers, a behavioral health hospital, home healthcare services, and a skilled nursing and rehabilitation facility.
Among notable achievements in 2016-2017, Sarasota Memorial Hospital:
- Earned the highest 5-Star rating from the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). At this time, SMH remains the only hospital in Florida with the federal government’s best rating for overall quality and safety.
- Was named one of the nation’s 50 Top Heart Hospitals by Truven Health Analytics.
- Was ranked “Best Hospital” in the Suncoast area (#1 in Sarasota-Venice-North Port-Bradenton) and in South Florida, by U.S. News & World Report in 2016-2017. SMH was one of just 67 hospitals to sweep the national charts with “top performer” ratings in all nine common procedures and conditions that U.S. News evaluated.
- Received an “A” grade for patient safety, earning a spot among America’s safest hospitals in The Leapfrog Group’s hospital safety report card.
- Received Healthgrades’ Outstanding Patient Experience Award.
- Last month, SMH also made Becker’s “150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2017” list, a tribute to health systems and healthcare companies that demonstrate the greatest commitment to fulfilling missions, creating outstanding cultures and offering competitive benefits to their employees.
In today’s announcement of its “100 Great Hospitals in America,” Becker’s Hospital Review said: “The hospitals included on this list are renowned for excellence. They are industry leaders in innovation, quality patient care and clinical research, and have received recognition across various publications and accrediting organizations.”
For profiles of all hospitals on the list, visit: http://bit.ly/2moosuS
About Sarasota Memorial
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System is a regional medical center offering Southwest Florida’s greatest breadth and depth of care, with more than 900,000 patient visits a year. Sarasota Memorial’s flagship, 819-bed, acute-care hospital has been recognized consistently as one of the nation’s safest and best, with superior patient outcomes and a complete continuum of outpatient services – from urgent care clinics and physician groups, laboratory and diagnostic imaging centers, to a behavioral health hospital, and skilled nursing and rehabilitation facility.