There is no moment in life, or in medicine, more important than the birth of a child. It is a time for celebration … and a time for certainty.
From the most routine births to the most complex, no other hospital in southwest Florida is as equipped to help you deliver a healthy baby (or multiples) in the most natural and safest way possible. Sarasota Memorial is nationally recognized for its high-quality OB/GYN services, high-risk pregnancy care and Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for critically ill newborns and premature babies.
Our team of obstetricians, perinatologists, neonatologists and pediatric specialists, and affiliation with Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, ensures access to the most advanced care in the nation. And our nurses rank among the top 1% in the nation – the only nursing staff in the region consistently recognized with Magnet status, the nation’s highest standards in nursing.
Our new Courtyard Tower has three floors dedicated to mother and baby services, with the following amenities, technologies and special services:
- Our “birthing suites” are designed for comfort for the whole family:
- Softly lit labor and deliver rooms
- Wireless fetal monitoring so laboring moms can move about freely
- Birthing balls, squatting bars and hydrotherapy tubs to ease labor pains naturally
- A dedicated Mother-Baby Unit that allows moms to room-in with their babies and includes sleeping
accommodations for dad or a supporting partner
- Free Wi-Fi
- Custom childbirth plans with experienced Labor and Delivery nurses who work seamlessly with your doctor, nurse midwife, doula or personal support person to coach you through the childbirth experience. Click here for a sample birth plan.
- Natural and safe deliveries, including vaginal deliveries after a previous Cesarean (VBAC).
- Board-certified OB hospitalists available in-house around-the-clock to examine patients, evaluate the progress of labor, check lab results, handle emergencies and provide a safe delivery for women who do not have their own physician or whose physician requests assistance.
- Epidural pain management, induction services and obstetric anesthesia for scheduled or emergency Cesarean sections 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For information, visit Sarasota Anesthesiologists, P.A.
- Newborn hearing screenings and heel-prick screening for more than 36 rare metabolic, endocrine, enzymatic and other genetic disorders. We also offer an optional Critical Congenital Heart Disease (CCHD) screening, a simple, non-invasive test to measure oxygen in the blood.
- Discharge celebration to commemorate your special day with complimentary infant footprints and newborn Sarasota Memorial T-shirts.
Childbirth Education & Support Services
To help families to prepare for this meaningful event, Sarasota Memorial Hospital offers a comprehensive Childbirth Education program. All classes are taught by certified instructors, on a variety of days, times & formats to meet your every need.To register for the OB Tour or any of our Childbirth Education classes, please visit our website: babies.smh.com
Our support for you does not end with the birth of your child. Please join us as we share the celebrations and challenges of being a new or veteran mom at our postpartum Mother-Baby group. Receive breastfeeding support at our latch clinic or by phone, by calling our Warmline. Get answers to your newborn care questions from our experts by visiting our SMH blog for new Moms & Dads.