Exceptional Care, Close to Home
Sarasota Memorial and All Children’s Hospital/Johns Hopkins Medicine collaborate to provide exceptional care for children. Our team of pediatric specialists and affiliation with All Children’s Hospital-Johns Hopkins, ensures access to the most advanced care in the nation. And our nurses rank among the top 1% in the nation – the only nursing staff in the region recognized repeatedly with Magnet status, the nation’s highest standards in nursing.
Our 28-bed Pediatric Unit offers 24-hour care with all of the following:
- Pediatric hospitalists – Our board-certified, specialty physicians are trained in infant, child and adolescent medicine.
- Pediatric registered nurses – Our staff has earned Magnet recognition, the nation’s highest honor in nursing.
- Child life specialist – Our Master’s trained healthcare specialist has advanced certification in child development, and works closely with parents, the pediatric team and your child’s primary care pediatrician.
- Family-centered care – Parents are active partners on their child’s care team, often staying overnight with their children, and relaxing in the family alcove with TV, snacks and drinks, refrigerator and microwave.
- Playful distractions – With kid-friendly decor, an inviting playroom with colorful saltwater aquarium, and cubbies brimming with toys and games, our Pediatric Unit is designed to help children relax and have a little fun during their hospital stay.
- Pet therapy – Pet therapists decrease stress for children and families during hospitalization. Not only do the children love when the pets come to visit, but families and staff share in the fun as well.
- Music therapy – Pediatric patients enjoy rock-star treatment, thanks to the generosity of Brian Johnson, lead singer of AC/DC, and his wife Brenda. The Johnsons donated musical equipment – including drums, guitars and keyboard –with support from the Sarasota Memorial Healthcare Foundation to help reduce children’s anxiety during a hospital stay.
- Safety and security – The Pediatric Unit is a locked, secure environment with restricted access to ensure the safety of your child. All guardians receive a blue bracelet for the duration of your child’s hospital stay, and visitors receive a visitor badge that they wear during their visit.
For tours and advice on how to prepare for your child’s stay, please call the Child Life Specialist at 941-917-4755. For more information, watch the video or call the Pediatric Unit at 941-917-7660.