If you think you or a loved one may be having a stroke, call 911 IMMEDIATELY and ask them to take you to the nearest Comprehensive Stroke Center.
The most advanced stroke interventions are available at Sarasota Memorial – the only nationally recognized, state-certified Comprehensive Stroke Center in Southwest Florida. Comprehensive Stroke Centers offer a wider range of specialists and the most advanced treatment options for people who suffer complex strokes, severe deficits or multiple organ challenges.
Our Comprehensive Stroke Center offers:
• Multidisciplinary collaboration – Board-certified, specialty trained physicians in Stroke Neurology, Vascular Neurosurgery and Endovascular Neuroradiology collaborate on complicated cases and surgeries.
• State-of-the-art therapies – We provide Endovascular, Neurosurgical, Neuroimaging and Neurointensivist therapies (such as brain glue, coils and implanted pellets) and cerebrovascular blood clot removal and repair of abnormal intracranial blood vessels.
• Clinical trials – We participate in stroke-specific national and international clinical trials, including advanced hypothermia treatments for ischemic stroke patients and innovative use of rtPA to treat bleeding caused by hemorrhagic strokes.
• Hospital-to-hospital transfers – Our Transfer Center helps ensure the quick and smooth transfer of patients from other hospitals to Sarasota Memorial. Please call 941-917-3900 to initiate the transfer process.
Nationally Recognized Care
Our stroke program has been recognized with distinction and awarded the Gold Seal of Approval by the Joint Commission and certified by DNV Healthcare for advanced services for stroke patients.
Our stroke program also has repeatedly received the American Heart Association/Stroke Association’s Get With the Guidelines “Gold Plus” award and national “Elite” honor roll status for achieving the nation’s highest quality outcomes in stroke care.
Sarasota Memorial’s Stroke Team is nationally recognized for following advanced stroke protocols and collaborating to provide the best treatment options for people whose lives are threatened by stroke. Mauricio Concha, MD, MHS, a Stroke Neurologist board-certified in Neurology and Vascular Neurology, is medical director of Sarasota Memorial’s Comprehensive Stroke Center. Our team includes:
- Board-certified Neurologists
- Board-certified Neurointerventional Radiologist
- Board-certified Interventional Radiologists
- Board-certified Neurosurgeons
- Board-certified Physiatrist (Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Physician)
- Board-certified Emergency Medicine Physicians
- Certified Stroke Nurses
- Clinical Case Managers
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Registered Dietitians
- Speech and Swallow Therapists
For information, please call 941-917-7777 or toll-free 800-764-8255 ext. 7777.