Assessment and Treatment for Memory Loss
Do you or a family member have difficulty remembering new things, handling complicated tasks, solving everyday problems or finding the right words? Some memory loss is normal as we age, but if memory loss is affecting your life, Sarasota Memorial’s Memory Clinic can help. Partially funded by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs, the clinic provides assessment and evaluation by a multi-disciplinary team of Neurologists, Geriatricians and Neuropsychologists. Our Memory Clinic provides the following services:
- Diagnostic memory evaluations – An initial examination involves tests and referrals necessary for an accurate diagnosis. The clinical team produces a written report, then schedules a meeting with the patient and family to explain the diagnosis and make recommendations for care.
- Education and support groups – Monthly meetings provide support for patients and their loved ones. An educational speaker delivers a short presentation on a topic or service, and answers questions on issues related to the early signs of memory problems.
- Free memory screenings – Our trained staff completes 15-minute screenings, and provides written results at the time of testing. To make an appointment, call 941-917-7197.
- Monthly newsletter – Short, informational articles offer tips on caregiving, communication and resources. This free newsletter also lists speakers and other educational events happening in the community for patients and caregivers.
- Community education – Memory Clinic staff are available to speak to groups and organizations on issues relating to aging and care. Popular topics include Normal Memory and Aging, Staying Safe on the Road as You Age, Understanding Dementia, and Managing Challenging Behavior.
Memory Disorder Clinic
at Sarasota Memorial Hospital
1515 S Osprey Ave Suite A-1
Sarasota, FL 34239
Free Education & Support Groups
1st Wednesday, 9:30 a.m.
3600 William Penn Way
Venice, FL 34293
2nd Tuesday, 9:30 a.m.
2040 Whitfield Ave.
Bradenton, FL 34243
3rd Thursday, 9:30 a.m.
Senior Friendship Center
Dwyer Education Room
1900 Brother Geenen Way
Sarasota, FL 34236
Chief of Geriatrics
Bruce Robinson, MD, M.P.H., is Chief of Geriatrics and the Memory Disorder Clinic at Sarasota Memorial. As Chief of Geriatrics, Dr. Robinson and the Geriatrics team assist people suffering from serious, life-limiting illness, offer information on options and provide assistance with hard decisions. The department also provides medical oversight of people residing in several assisted living facilities and skilled nursing facilities in the area. The department staff is available to provide educational programs on topics relating to aging and caregiving. To reach the Geriatrics Department, please call 941-917-4008. For more information on the Memory Clinic, please call 941-917-7197.