Sarasota, FL (Nov. 8, 2018) — Sarasota Memorial is bringing its 5-Star, affordable care closer to South County residents with a new state-of-the-art hospital planned for its 65-acre campus on Laurel and Pinebrook roads in Venice, Fla.
Construction of Sarasota Memorial Hospital - Venice is anticipated to start in mid-2019, with the new campus expected to open in Fall 2021.
Opening the new Venice hospital will enhance care to the region and will have a significant economic impact, creating and sustaining jobs and livelihoods for hundreds of people and area businesses.
The new campus also will bring Sarasota Memorial’s extensive physician base further south and will help build the medical staff for a future hospital in North Port.
Built to Grow with the Community
Sarasota Memorial Hospital - Venice, designed to allow for substantial future expansion, will initially include a 365,000-square-foot hospital featuring:
- 90 private suites for acute-care patients
- 20 private suites for patients under observation
- 28-bed Emergency Care Center
- Surgical suites, including dedicated operating room for obstetrical patients and medically necessary C-sections
The new hospital will have the capacity to expand to 270 private patient suites and to double the size of the Emergency Care Center.
Sarasota Memorial's Venice hospital will be a full-service, acute-care facility, offering a wide range of emergency and specialized services, surgical services, intensive care, rehabilitation services and many other programs, including:
- Cardiology Units / Catheterization Labs
- Critical Care / Intensive Care Units
- Emergency Care
- Endoscopy & other procedural areas
- Labor & Delivery / Post-Partum Unit
- Laboratory / Diagnostic Testing
- Neurology / Neurosurgery
- Oncology Unit & Infusion Services
Easy Access to Needed Services
The Sarasota Memorial Hospital - Venice campus also will feature:
- A medical office building with physician practices.
- A parking garage and ample surface parking to provide patients with convenient access to care.
- Seamless care coordination and connection to the expertise and support of the entire Sarasota Memorial Health Care System via integrated information technology.
- A Community Specialty Clinic.
Sarasota Memorial Hospital - Venice will have advanced hurricane hardening up to codes that meet or exceed a Category 4 hurricane. The hospital also will include continually tested, back-up systems and powerful generators to help ensure continued operations when local power grids are compromised.
SMH also is working with the City of Venice and Sarasota County to include a community hurricane shelter on the Laurel Road campus.
Neighborhood / Community Workshops
We have shared our preliminary plans at a several neighborhood and public workshops and have created the Venice Neighborhood Advisory Council, which includes about a dozen neighborhood, business and community leaders. The new group is similar to our longstanding main campus advisory council. These councils help maintain the lines of communication between SMH and our neighbors, so we can answer questions and get feedback.