Local Focus, National Acclaim
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System, an 819-bed regional medical center, is among the largest public health systems in Florida. With about 4,000 staff, over 800 physicians and 1,000 volunteers, it is one of Sarasota County’s largest employers. A community hospital founded in 1925, Sarasota Memorial is governed by the nine-member elected Sarasota County Public Hospital Board. It is a full-service health system, with specialized expertise in heart, vascular, cancer and neuroscience services, as well as a network of outpatient centers, long-term care and rehabilitation among its many programs. Sarasota Memorial is the only hospital in Sarasota County providing obstetrical services, pediatrics and Level III neonatal intensive care.
Here are a few of the many accomplishments that recognize our focus on your care:
Number 1 on the Suncoast, 2015-2016 Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report for overall quality, safety and care. Regional rankings include:
- Number 1 in Sarasota-Venice-North Port-Bradenton.
- Number 7 among Florida hospitals for overall quality, safety and care.
- Top 10 percent in the nation for adult specialty Gastroenterology and GI Surgery.
- High performer ratings in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), heart failure, hip replacement and knee replacement.
- Ranked among the 100 Top Hospitals in the nation by Truven Health Analytics for 2016
- HealthGrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award winner for 2016
- Magnet Recognition® from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the most prestigious distinction for nursing excellence and high-quality patient care.
- One of 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare" according to a 2016 Becker's Healthcare report.
- Number 1 Top Hospital for Emergency Heart Attack Care by BetterDoctor.
- Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification from DNV Healthcare, one of the nation’s leading accrediting organizations.
- Joint Commission certification for Congestive Heart Failure program and advanced re-certification for stroke care.
- State certified as a Comprehensive Stroke Center.
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get with the Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award and advanced certification from the Joint Commission.
- Consumer Choice Award for Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice by the National Research Corporation (NRC) for 2013-2014.
- Full three-year accreditation for Cancer Care Services from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.
- Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF) for Comprehensive Rehabilitation and Specialty Stroke programs.
- Silver Beacon Awards of Excellence for the Critical Care Unit and Cardiac Acute Telemetry Unit from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN).
- 2015 Gallup Great Workplace Award for the extraordinary ability to create an engaged workforce that drives quality, safety and superior performance.
- Recognized by the following insurers:
- Florida Blue Distinction for Cardiac Care, Spine Surgery and Hip/Knee Replacement.
- Aetna Institutes of Quality for Cardiovascular Surgery, Cardiac Intervention and Cardiac Rhythm.
- Cigna recognition for Cardiac Care, Hip Replacement, Pulmonology and Stroke.
For more information on Sarasota Memorial’s commitment and service to the community, please see our Community Impact Report.
Required Reporting, FL Statutes: Special Districts.