- *About Us
- Mission Statement/Vision
- Facts & Figures
- Board Members
- Hospital Departments
- Community Outreach
- Sarasota Memorial Quality Report
- Financial Statements
- BayCare Strategic Alliance
- The Value of a Public Hospital
- Awards & Honors
About Sarasota Memorial
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System, an 806-bed regional medical center, is among the largest public health systems in Florida. With about 4,000 staff, 802 physicians and 1,000 volunteers, it is one of Sarasota County's largest employers. A community hospital founded in 1925, Sarasota Memorial is governed by the nine-member elected Sarasota County Public Hospital Board. It is a full-service health system, with specialized expertise in heart, vascular, cancer, and neuroscience services, as well as a network of outpatient centers, long-term care and rehabilitation among its many programs. Sarasota Memorial is the only hospital providing obstetrical services, pediatrics and Level III neonatal intensive care in Sarasota County.
In 2013, Sarasota Memorial and BayCare Health System approved a strategic alliance to collaborate on growth initiatives and combine their resources to offset reductions in reimbursement and reforms expected in the years ahead. For more information, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.
Sarasota Memorial ...
• …is the only local hospital on U.S. News & World Report's 2013 Best Hospitals list, earning the No. 48 spot for excellence in gynecological care. The hospital also is ranked among Florida's top 10 hospitals and is the top-performer for overall care in the Sarasota-Bradenton region. SMH is one of just 3 percent of all hospitals to earn a national ranking.
In this year’s study, in addition to the top 50 ranking in Gynecology, Sarasota Memorial was recognized among the top quartile nationally for achieving “high performing” status in the following six specialties:
-- Diabetes & Endocrinology
-- Gastroenterology & GI Surgery
• …is one of just two hospitals – out of more than 4,000 nationwide – singled out for demonstrating the lowest (best) readmission rates in the nation for heart attack, heart failure and pneumonia patients. Data from the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) posted on the government’s Hospital Compare website in 2012 reveals mortality and re-admission rates for more than 4,600 hospitals nationwide. The data shows how often patients were readmitted within 30 days of discharge from a previous hospital stay for heart attack, heart failure, or pneumonia. Sarasota Memorial was one of only two hospitals in the nation to perform well-above the national average in all three readmission categories studied.
• … earned Magnet Nursing Services Recognition, the nation’s highest honor for excellence in nursing. Given by the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center, the premier authority on nursing, Magnet recognition means that Sarasota Memorial provides a supportive environment that attracts and retains the best and brightest caregivers. To be recognized as a Magnet hospital, applicants must meet criteria indicating superiority in all aspects of nursing services. Sarasota Memorial was re-designated in 2008 after a rigorous application process that included detailed documentation and an on-site visit by Magnet surveyors, who looked at all facets of care, including patient outcomes, nurses’ participation in decision-making, education/career development and management philosophy and practices. Independently sponsored research projects suggest that Magnet facilities have positive outcomes for patients, nurses and workplaces. The hospital is currently the only provider in the region with the designation.
• Achieved recognition from the following insurers:
-- Florida Blue Distinction for Cardiac Care, Spine Surgery, Hip/Knee Replacement.
-- Aetna Institutes of Quality for Bariatric Surgery Facility, Cardiovascular Surgery, Cardiac Intervention, Cardiac Rhythm
-- Cigna recognition for Heart Attack, Cardiac Pacemaker Implant, Craniotomy, Stroke, Transurethral Prostatectomy, Spinal Fusion, Vaginal Delivery, Pneumonia
-- United Premium Specialty Centers: Cardiac Services, Spine Surgery, Total Joint Replacement
• … earned special Joint Commission certification for its congestive heart failure program and advanced re-certification for stroke care.
• … was named a Consumer Choice Award winner for the Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice metropolitan area by the National Research Corporation (NRC) for the 16th consecutive year for 2013 - 20134. The award identifies hospitals that health care consumers have chosen as having the best overall quality, best doctors and nurses and image ratings in markets throughout the nation.
• … is state-certified as a Comprehensive Stroke Center. The designation demonstrates that our stroke care program follows standards and guidelines that can significantly improve outcomes for stroke patients. The hospital also has received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award and advanced certification from the Joint Commission.
• … received full three-year accreditation for its Cancer Care Services from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer. Only one in four hospitals that treat cancer receive this special approval.
• … is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF) for its Comprehensive Rehabilitation and Specialty Stroke programs. CARF accreditation is voluntary and is awarded only to those rehabilitation programs able to meet the commission’s standards of excellence of patient care. Organizations must be re-accredited every three years.
• … has a Mobile Intensive Care Unit, a specially equipped ambulance designed to respond on-demand to critically ill adult patients who live in outlying communities.
• … ensures residents receive consistent, top-notch primary care with its physician partnership, First Physicians Group of Sarasota. First Physicians Group was named by the national Medical Group Management Association a “better performer” because of its superior operational performance compared with similar medical group practices around the country.
• … has a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit with neonatologists, perinatologists, a maternal-fetal transport team and highly skilled clinicians. The hospital’s perinatal center offers mothers and newborns the most advanced clinical care in a four-county area and specializes in helping women with high risk pregnancies maintain the safest possible condition to deliver a healthy baby. Its Maternal/Neonatal Transport vehicle safely carries at-risk expectant mothers to the hospital. It is fully equipped and staffed to handle any emergency, stabilizing the mother and baby.
• … is grateful for the generosity of the Sarasota Memorial Healthcare Foundation Inc., which has provided tens of millions of dollars in grants since 1976. The true magnitude of these donations are put into perspective when one considers that for every $30 million of charges for procedures and services, Sarasota Memorial generates about $1 million in cash flow.
• … depends on its hundreds of volunteers, who donated more than a hundred thousand hours of devoted service to the organization. The hospital’s Auxiliary has selflessly contributed millions of dollars through the years to hospital programs.
• … has been designated by the state of Florida as a site for a Memory Disorder Clinic sponsored by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs. Under the direction of Dr. Bruce Robinson, Sarasota Memorial’s chief of Geriatrics, a multi-disciplinary team provides evaluations to those with memory loss.
• … has a Corporate Volunteer program made up of staff members who donate more than a thousand hours annually to the community as well as hundreds of items to Mothers Helping Mothers.
• …has a Diabetes Treatment Services that has received continued recognition from the American Diabetes Association for offering high-quality education services to patients. The program earned ADA’s Education Recognition Certificate for demonstrating compliance with national standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education Programs.
For more information on Sarasota Memorial’s commitment and service to the community, please click here to read our Community Impact Report.