Sarasota Memorial Bariatric & Metabolic Health Center
Led by Medical Director Dr. Arundathi Rao, the Sarasota Memorial Bariatric and Metabolic Health Center provides a comprehensive program to help patients lose weight safely and resolve many of the health conditions associated with obesity, including Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and lipid disorders like high cholesterol or triglycerides.
In addition to offering the latest technologies in weight-loss surgery and the best surgical expertise in the region, our knowledgeable and experienced team guides program participants during every step of their journey toward better health. We offer pre-surgery counseling as well as long-term follow-up care and support to ensure the best outcome and lasting weight-loss results.
Bariatric surgery is a proven prescription for treating morbid obesity, but it isn’t for everyone. For those who do not qualify for bariatric surgery, or who decide against it, the Sarasota Memorial Bariatric and Metabolic Health Center provides a full slate of non-surgical, weight-loss options and support programs.
Is Weight-loss Surgery Right for You?
If you have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater (or 35 to 39, if you have a diagnosed, severe, obesity-related health problem), and have tried multiple times to lose the weight on your own with little success, then surgery can be a safe and effective tool to achieve sustained weight loss and reverse related health conditions. Call 917-4753 to make an appointment with our bariatric team and find out what program best meets your needs.
Physicians recommend bariatric surgery when:
- All other attempts at weight loss have failed.
- Health conditions have created a medical need for surgery.
- Surgery seems to be the only option to achieve necessary weight loss.
- The patient is physically and mentally stable enough for major surgery.
To find out whether you qualify for weight-loss surgery, please fill out and submit the accompanying "Do you qualify" form; one of our team members will reach out to you.
Take the first step toward weight-loss success and better health: Call 917-4753 for more information about the program or to save your spot at one of our Meet the Surgeon information sessions, where Sarasota Memorial’s board-certified bariatric surgeons will answer your questions.
SMH Bariatrics Program Highlights
- Personal approach: Sarasota Memorial’s bariatrics team tailors each patient’s treatment plan to fit their unique needs, goals and lifestyle.
- Nationally accredited: SMH's bariatrics program is accredited as a higher level “Comprehensive Center” under the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program. The designation recognizes that the program meets the highest national standards for patient care and that its surgeons have the specialized skills, experience and successful outcomes to manage patients with complex disease.
- Full-service program with continued support: The Bariatric and Metabolic Health Center offers comprehensive weight-loss services that include non-surgical and surgical solutions.
- Minimally invasive surgery: Many procedures are accomplished using da Vinci-assisted robotic surgery or laparoscopic surgery, which allow for less invasive procedures with shorter recovery times.
- Board certified: All SMH bariatric surgeons are board certified in general surgery.
- Four types of surgical procedures: We offer the three most popular bariatric surgery procedures for treating obesity, as well as revisional surgery.
- SMH’s results exceed national averages: Sarasota Memorial patients report dramatic improvements in their obesity-related health conditions (comorbidities), results that beat national averages* in the major comorbidity categories: sleep apnea, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), hyperlipidemia, hypertension and diabetes.
* Averages among bariatric surgery centers in the U.S. that report through the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), which sets national accreditation standards for the industry’s surgical centers.