|Serving Size||1/12 of cake|
|Calories from Fat||20|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||45 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
|Vitamin A||2% DV|
|Vitamin C||25% DV|
Servings and Times
|Preparation Time||2 hours|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Unsweetened cocoa||½ cup + 2 teaspoons|
|All-purpose flour||1 cup|
|Baking soda||½ teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1¼ cups|
|Fat-free milk||1 cup|
|Unsweetened chocolate, melted||1 ounce|
|Vanilla extract||1½ teaspoons|
|Large egg whites||4|
|Seedless raspberry jam||¼ cup|
|Confectionary sugar||1 tablespoon|
|Fresh raspberries||3 pints|
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch round cake pan with vegetable cooking spray. Coat bottom and sides with 2 teaspoons of cocoa.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
- Combine milk and remaining ½ cup cocoa in a small saucepan. Whisk over medium heat for 5 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and whisk in melted chocolate and vanilla until smooth. Whisk cocoa mixture into dry ingredients until blended.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining ¼ cup granulated sugar.
- Gradually increase speed to medium-high, and beat to stiff peaks. Gently fold one-third of egg whites into chocolate mixture with a rubber spatula. Then fold in remaining whites just until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes.
- Invert cake onto a plate. Invert again onto wire rack and cool completely.
- Split cake into two layers. Remove top layer. Place bottom layer on serving plate.
- Spread jam over bottom layer; place top layer over jam, cut side down.
- Garnish with ½ cup fresh raspberries per serving.
- Sift with confectioners’ sugar over top.