- 1 - pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 - teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 - large onion
- 1 - large carrot
- 1 - stalk celery
- 4 - cloves garlic
- 1 - tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 - pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1 - 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 - cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - cup grated Parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is beginning to brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beef and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Increase heat to high. Stir in tomatoes and cook until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in parsley and salt.
Serve the sauce over the pasta, sprinkled with cheese.