- 8 - corn tortillas
- - Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1 - tablespoon canola oil
- 3 - Anaheim or poblano peppers
- 1 - medium onion
- 1 - teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 - pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 - cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 - 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 - tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 - cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 - cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Spread tortilla strips in an even layer on a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Bake until browned and crispy, 12 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chicken, broth, tomatoes and their juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice. Serve each portion topped with some of the baked tortilla strips, Cheddar and cilantro.