- 2 - pounds beef stew meat
- 2 - teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 1/2-2 - tablespoons sweet or hot paprika
- 1/4 - teaspoon salt
- - Freshly ground pepper
- 1 - large or 2 medium onions
- 1 - small red bell pepper
- 1 - 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 - 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 - teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 - cloves garlic
- 2 - bay leaves
- 1 - tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 2 - tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Place beef in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Crush caraway seeds with the bottom of a saucepan. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in paprika, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the beef with the spice mixture and toss to coat well. Top with onion and bell pepper.
Combine tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce and garlic in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer. Pour over the beef and vegetables. Place bay leaves on top. Cover and cook until the beef is very tender, 4 to 4 1/2 hours on high or 7 to 7 1/2 hours on low.
Discard the bay leaves; skim or blot any visible fat from the surface of the stew. Add the cornstarch mixture to the stew and cook on high, stirring 2 or 3 times, until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley.