May is national Better Hearing and Speech Month - a time to raise public awareness, knowledge, and understanding of the various forms of communication impairments that affect 14 million Americans - and local speech-language pathologists are excited to talk about how targeted speech therapy can improve the lives of patients with Parkinson disease (PD) and other neurological conditions. For people living with these disorders, speech impairments are a daily struggle. The development of a method aimed at improving vocal loudness, LSVT LOUD™, has helped many individuals with PD and speech problems, giving them new hope for improved communication at work, family and social activities. Specially trained and certified speech therapists practicing LSVT LOUD empower people with PD to participate in their treatment in fundamental ways and to gain control over one important and burdensome aspect of their PD – the ability to communicate.
There are more than 10,000 speech therapists certified to administer LSVT LOUD, including several in your community. For more information about your local LSVT LOUD expert, please contact Sarasota Memorial’s Institute for Advanced Medicine Rehabilitation Department at (941) 917-7600. Sarasota Memorial is proud to offer LSVT LOUD Rehabilitation therapies.
About LSVT LOUD:
• LSVT LOUD therapy can improve both the voice and speech of individuals with Parkinson disease by treating underlying physical pathology associated with the disordered voice.
• Treatment focuses on improving vocal loudness and immediate carry-over into daily communication enabling patients to maintain or improve oral communication.
• LSVT Loud is administered by a certified Speech-language pathologist on an intensive schedule of 16 individual, 60-minute sessions in one month’s time.
• Ninety percent of patients improve vocal loudness from pre to post-treatment. About 80 percent of patients maintain treatment improvements in their voice a year to two years after treatment.
• LSVT LOUD is a globally standardized treatment and there are speech therapists in 54 countries around the world trained and certified to deliver the treatment protocol in a standardized and tested way.
• More than 20 years of research funded by the National Institute of Health (NIH) has documented that LSVT LOUD Parkinson-specific speech therapy is effective.
The results of the treatment last up to two years, making LSVT LOUD the “gold standard” in treating speech disorders for people with PD.
About Parkinson Disease and Speech:
• In the United States, 50,000-60,000 new cases of PD are diagnosed each year, adding to the one million people who currently have PD. Worldwide, it is estimated that six million people suffer from the condition.
• Virtually every person (89%) with PD will have problems with speech that start early in the disease process and that will progressively diminish their quality of life. Common speech problems include:
• Soft voice
• Mumbled speech
• Monotone speech
• Hoarse voice
• Medicine and neurosurgery may dramatically improve other symptoms of PD, but they typically don’t help speech disorders. The most effective way to improve speech is through speech therapy.
LSVT Global, Inc. pioneered the Lee Silverman Voice Treatments (LSVT LOUD™ and LSVT BIG™), innovative and clinically-proven methods for improving communication and movement in individuals with Parkinson disease with application to other neural conditions, such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome. Today, there are over 10,000 certified LSVT clinicians in 54 countries. LSVT Global offers LSVT LOUD and LSVT BIG Training and Certification Workshops for speech, physical and occupational therapists worldwide, as well as providing technology solutions for speech treatment delivery through our LSVT COMPANION® software system and via telehealth through LSVT eLOUD™. To learn more about LSVT Global products and services, visit www.LSVTGlobal.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.