An estimated 25 to 50 million cases of the flu are reported each year in the United States and local health officials are working to keep the number of illnesses and hospitalizations on the Suncoast low this flu season by encouraging people to get their flu shot as soon as possible.
Flu season typically runs from November through April, with most cases occurring between late December and early March. Getting the shot before flu season is in full force gives the body a chance to build up immunity to, or protection from, the virus. This year's vaccine protects against the seasonal flu and the H1N1 virus that emerged last year. Vaccinations are recommended for everyone 6 months and older and especially for those 65 and older, those with chronic medical conditions and health-care workers.
Vaccine is plentiful this year and flu clinics are open across the region. Clinic dates, times and locations for Sarasota Memorial’s flu & pneumonia vaccine clinics are listed below, or click here for the complete schedule.
Cost: Flu - $25; Pneumonia $60 *Adults & children 6 mos. & older
- Gulf Gate: 6130 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota 34231 | (941) 917-5678
- (1/4 mi N of Stickney Point, on west side of US 41)
- Hours: Mon, 8 am to 8 pm; Tues - Sat, 8 am to 6:30 pm; Sun, CLOSED
- University Parkway: 2401 University Pkwy, Sarasota 34243 | (941) 917-1234
- (Between Tuttle Ave & US 301; turn North on Shade Ave to parking)
- Hours: Mon – Sat, 8 am to 8 pm; Sun, 9 am to 5 pm
- Heritage Harbour: 1040 River Heritage Blvd, Bradenton 34212 | (941) 917-6440
- (About 1 mile east of I-75 off SR-64)
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 8 am to 6:30 pm; Sat, 8 am to 4:30 pm; Sun, 9 am to 4 pm
No appointments necessary. For information, call Sarasota Memorial’s HealthLine at (941) 917-7777
Note: Medicare recipients must bring Medicare cards