- 8 - ounces whole-wheat rotini
- 1 - tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 - onion
- 3 - cloves cloves garlic
- 8 - ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- 1/4 - teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 - 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 8 - cups baby spinach
- 1/2 - teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 - cup part-skim ricotta cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta; cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add tomatoes, spinach and crushed red pepper (if using). Increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring once halfway through, until the spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes.
Toss the sauce with the pasta and divide among 4 bowls. Dollop each serving with 3 tablespoons of ricotta.