About Sarasota Memorial
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System, an 819-bed regional medical center, is among the largest public health systems in Florida. With about 4,000 staff, 802 physicians and 1,000 volunteers, it is one of Sarasota County's largest employers. A community hospital founded in 1925, Sarasota Memorial is governed by the nine-member elected Sarasota County Public Hospital Board. It is a full-service health system, with specialized expertise in heart, vascular, cancer, and neuroscience services, as well as a network of outpatient centers, long-term care and rehabilitation among its many programs. Sarasota Memorial is the only hospital providing obstetrical services, pediatrics and Level III neonatal intensive care in Sarasota County.
Sarasota Memorial ...
• …is the only local hospital on U.S. News & World Report's 2014 Best Hospitals list, earning the No. 30 spot for excellence in gynecological care. The hospital also is ranked among Florida's top 5 hospitals and is the top-performer for overall care in the Sarasota-Venice-North Port-Bradenton region. SMH is one of just 3 percent of all hospitals to earn a national ranking.
In this year’s study, in addition to the top 50 ranking in Gynecology, Sarasota Memorial was recognized as a “high performer” in the following eight specialties:
-- Diabetes & Endocrinology
-- Gastroenterology & GI Surgery
•… was singled out by Consumer Reports for leading the nation in avoiding hospital readmissions. In 2014 hospital rankings, Sarasota Memorial had the lowest (best) readmission rate of hospitals with at least 500 beds. The study ranked nearly 4,500 hospitals based on the most recent data available from the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
• … earned Magnet Nursing Services Recognition, the nation’s highest honor for excellence in nursing. Given by the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center, the premier authority on nursing, Magnet recognition means that Sarasota Memorial provides a supportive environment that attracts and retains the best and brightest caregivers. To be recognized as a Magnet hospital, applicants must meet criteria indicating superiority in all aspects of nursing services. Sarasota Memorial was designated for the third time in 2014 — a rigorous challenge accomplished by just 1 percent of the nation’s hospitals — after a rigorous application process that included detailed documentation and an on-site visit by Magnet surveyors. Independently sponsored research projects suggest that Magnet facilities have positive outcomes for patients, nurses and workplaces. The hospital is currently the only provider in the region with the designation.
•… was named one of the “150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare” for 2014 by Becker's Healthcare. Each year, the publication compiles a list of health care organizations that provide excellent work environments and outstanding benefits to their employees. Sarasota Memorial also was named among Becker's Hospital Review’s “100 Hospitals with Great Women's Health Programs” and "100 Hospitals With Great Heart Programs."
• Achieved recognition from the following insurers:
-- Florida Blue Distinction for Cardiac Care, Spine Surgery, Hip/Knee Replacement.
-- Aetna Institutes of Quality for Bariatric Surgery Facility, Cardiovascular Surgery, Cardiac Intervention, Cardiac Rhythm
-- Cigna recognition for Heart Attack, Cardiac Pacemaker Implant, Craniotomy, Stroke, Transurethral Prostatectomy, Spinal Fusion, Vaginal Delivery, Pneumonia
-- United Premium Specialty Centers: Cardiac Services, Spine Surgery, Total Joint Replacement
•… received Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification from DNV Healthcare, one of the leading accrediting organizations in the nation.The prestigious certification shows that Sarasota Memorial meets the highest standards of stroke care, from diagnosis and treatment to research, rehabilitation and education.
• … earned special Joint Commission certification for its congestive heart failure program and advanced re-certification for stroke care.
• … is state-certified as a Comprehensive Stroke Center. The designation demonstrates that our stroke care program follows standards and guidelines that can significantly improve outcomes for stroke patients. The hospital also has received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award and advanced certification from the Joint Commission.
• … was named a Consumer Choice Award winner for the Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice metropolitan area by the National Research Corporation (NRC) for the 16th consecutive year for 2013 - 20134. The award identifies hospitals that health care consumers have chosen as having the best overall quality, best doctors and nurses and image ratings in markets throughout the nation.
• … received full three-year accreditation for its Cancer Care Services from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer. Only one in four hospitals that treat cancer receive this special approval.
• … is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF) for its Comprehensive Rehabilitation and Specialty Stroke programs. CARF accreditation is voluntary and is awarded only to those rehabilitation programs able to meet the commission’s standards of excellence of patient care. Organizations must be re-accredited every three years.
•…has been awarded the Silver Beacon Award of Excellence, a national recognition from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN), for its Critical Care Unit. A significant milestone on the path to exceptional patient care and healthy work environments, the prestigious honor recognizes unit caregivers who successfully improve outcomes and meet national criteria consistent with Magnet Recognition, the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award and the National Quality Healthcare Award.
• … has a Mobile Intensive Care Unit, a specially equipped ambulance designed to respond on-demand to critically ill adult patients who live in outlying communities.
• … ensures residents receive consistent, top-notch primary care with its physician partnership, First Physicians Group of Sarasota. First Physicians Group was named by the national Medical Group Management Association a “better performer” because of its superior operational performance compared with similar medical group practices around the country.
• … has the only Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in Sarasota County. The Level III unit is staffed by neonatologists, perinatologists, a maternal-fetal transport team and highly skilled clinicians. In addition, the hospital’s perinatal center offers mothers and newborns the most advanced clinical care in a four-county area and specializes in helping women with high risk pregnancies maintain the safest possible condition to deliver a healthy baby. Its Maternal/Neonatal Transport vehicle safely carries at-risk expectant mothers to the hospital. It is fully equipped and staffed to handle any emergency, stabilizing the mother and baby.
• … is grateful for the generosity of the Sarasota Memorial Healthcare Foundation Inc. Grants made by the Healthcare Foundation support patient care, research, education, technology and facilities at Sarasota Memorial Health Care System and throughout the community.
• … depends on its hundreds of volunteers, who donated more than a hundred thousand hours of devoted service to the organization. The hospital’s Auxiliary has selflessly contributed millions of dollars through the years to hospital programs.
• … has been designated by the state of Florida as a site for a Memory Disorder Clinic sponsored by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs. Under the direction of Dr. Bruce Robinson, Sarasota Memorial’s chief of Geriatrics, a multi-disciplinary team provides evaluations to those with memory loss.
• … has a Corporate Volunteer program made up of staff members who donate more than a thousand hours annually to the community as well as hundreds of items to Mothers Helping Mothers.
• …has a Diabetes Treatment Services that has received continued recognition from the American Diabetes Association for offering high-quality education services to patients. The program earned ADA’s Education Recognition Certificate for demonstrating compliance with national standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education Programs.
For more information on Sarasota Memorial’s commitment and service to the community, please click here to read our Community Impact Report.