Self-Management Diabetes Education* Program
Sarasota Memorial Hospital, Diabetes Treatment Services is Recognized by the American Diabetes Association for Quality Self-Management Education*.
Through education and counseling, we can help you design a self-care program that addresses your individual needs and can help to decrease your risk of getting complications related to diabetes.
Medicare and many insurance companies cover the cost of diabetes education. A referral from your physician or nurse practitioner is required. It is recommended that you verify whether the services are covered by your personal insurance plan.
Services offered include:
Adult Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME)
- Up to 10 hours of diabetes self-management education is provided. The comprehensive class includes:
- Diabetes disease process and treatment options
- Lifestyle modification to include nutrition management and activity
- Safe use of medications
- Home blood glucose testing and interpretation of results
- Prevention, detection and treatment of acute and chronic complications
- Developing personal strategies to address psychosocial issues and promotion of health and behavior change.
- An individualized assessment with the Registered Nurse, Certified Diabetes Educator includes glucometer training and insulin and/or insulin pump education when needed.
Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)
- An individualized diet assessment and development of a Personalized Meal Plan is provided with the guidance of a Registered Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Educator.
Annual Follow-Up Diabetes Self-Management Education
- After completing the comprehensive Diabetes Self-Management Education, annual individualized follow up appointments help you refresh and update your self-care plan. Insurance plans usually cover two hours with the nurse and two hours with the dietitian each year.
Gestational Diabetes Education Classes
- Education for pregnant women who have gestational diabetes during their pregnancy. Classes include blood sugar control, home blood glucose testing and monitoring results. Comprehensive nutrition and meal planning are also included.
Monthly Education Sessions – open to the community at no charge
- Offered the first Monday of each month (except in July, August and September)
- Osprey Location: SMH Blackburn Point Clinic, Suite 202 at 1:00pm
- Sarasota Location: SMH Main Campus in 4th Floor Diabetes Classroom at 6:00pm
- A one hour session about a variety of topics related to diabetes and/or healthy lifestyle development and maintenance.
- Ask to be added to our email list to receive information and be notified of the topic each month.
People with diabetes are encouraged to bring a family member or other support person to any class or session that you may attend.
Again, it is recommended that you verify whether diabetes education services are covered by your personal insurance plan. Ask about coverage available for DSME and MNT.