Human orthopedic joints. They are complex mechanisms with astounding capacity to withstand a lifetime of everyday wear and tear. Some of us never have problems. Yet, many of us over time experience deterioration or damage of shoulders, hips, or knees that can cause severe arthritis and chronic pain. When it becomes acute, the pain can lead to increasing degrees of disability and immobility.
From diagnosis to discharge and beyond, Sarasota Memorial’s Center for Total Joint Replacement offers a comprehensive and multi-disciplinary approach to help people regain mobility and return to their normal acts of daily living, whether that means running errands or running marathons.
To learn more about our Center for Total Joint Replacement or to speak with our patient navigator, call (941) 917-7356.
Just as no two patients are alike, no two joint replacements are exactly the same. Our team of skilled professionals - orthopedic surgeons, anesthesiologists, orthopedic nurses, physical and occupational therapists, pain management specialists, case managers and care navigators - work together seamlessly to develop and implement an individualized treatment plan.
Our program offers innovative techniques and treatment options including:
- Comprehensive total hip, knee and shoulder joint replacement procedures, with smaller incisions and technology designed to reduce trauma to muscles and tissues surrounding the replaced joint and get patients back to their normal activities as soon and as safely as possible.
- Computer-assisted surgery, offering increased precision and longevity of replacement joints.
- Revision (corrective) surgery of old joint replacements that are painful or not working properly
- Comprehensive pain management strategies to manage post operative pain and speed recovery.
Complementary & Support Services
Every care plan is precisely focused on the unique medical and lifestyle needs of each patient.
Working in unison with your primary care physician and orthopedic surgeon, we provide a full complement of orthopedic services, including:
- Joint Replacement (Pre-Operative Education) Class
- At-home physical therapy program, with breathing exercises and nutritional advice, to help you get in the best possible condition before surgery.
- Care Navigator to help you plan for your hospital stay and post hospital care
- Comprehensive Rehabilitation Unit offering the region’s only hospital-based inpatient rehabilitative unit
- A full spectrum of outpatient physical, occupational and rehabilitative therapy
- Inpatient/Outpatient Pain Management – We recognize that patients recover more quickly and comfortably when their pain is control. Along with our pain care physicians and nurses certified in acute pain management, you are an important partner in achieving good pain control. We provide all of our patients the best pain relief that is safely possible and strive for a balance that minimizes side effects or a "drugged" feeling. Outpatient pain management services are available if needed following your hospital stay.
- Quality Outcomes – The results of our comprehensive approach to joint care are overwhelmingly positive. Learn more >>>
- Home care – at your home or assisted living/skilled nursing facility
- HealthFit – a medically-oriented fitness center
- Dedicated Orthopedic Unit – An entire floor of the hospital’s new nine-story bed tower is dedicated to state-of-the art orthopedic care and will serve as the hub of our Center for Total Joint Replacement.