- *2014 Hurricane Season
- Emergency Forms and Policies
- Information for Physicians
- Hurricane Facts
- Hurricane Hardening
- Patients with Special Needs
- Sarasota Region Hurricane Guide
- Hurricane Staffing Procedures and Important Information
- FAQ for Staff
2014 Hurricane Season Response Plan
Please click here to download
our guide for an effective and
safe response to hurricanes.
Throughout this section, you’ll find information about hurricane preparations, hospital operating conditions, staffing procedures and more – See the links at left.
Sarasota Memorial is a designated medical shelter for patients and People with Special Needs who have registered in advance with Sarasota County and have been assigned to the hospital. Sarasota Memorial is not a community shelter. To ensure adequate facilities, staffing and supplies for emergencies, we must reserve our rooms for patients and other individuals who require a hospital setting. Sarasota County has shelter locations for People with Special Needs who do not require a hospital setting. If you have special medical needs, please click here for more information. Sarasota County’s website also is a valuable resource for People with Special Needs or call (941) 861-5000.
Sarasota Memorial has extensive procedures and plans to allow the continuation of care for patients in the event of a hurricane or tropical storm:
- Our back-up equipment, generators and supplies are designed to help keep facilities and critical life-saving equipment running if electrical power or supply distribution are disrupted.
- We have upgraded the roofs, windows and exteriors of our facilities to help them withstand high winds and flooding.
- Staff members work closely with federal, state and local officials to monitor approaching storms and determine which measures are needed to ensure the safety of patients, staff and community members. The hospital also holds drills throughout the year to test our response to disasters such as hurricanes.
More information about the hospital’s emergency management programs are here.
Hospital staff may click here for more information or call the Employee Hot Line, (941) 917-8799.