It is that time of year again, to remind you of the Medical Staff policy mandating flu vaccination for all Sarasota Memorial Hospital medical staff and allied health providers. This policy, adopted by the Medical Executive Committee, is intended to protect our own health, the health of our co-workers, but it is primarily intended to protect our patients.
- Providers are to be immunized by October 31st.
- Those members who do not comply with this requirement will be required to wear a mask and wear an identifiable red badge (purchased from Public Safety) whenever in the hospital, except during meals, until the end of flu season.
History and Physical Requirements prior to surgery:
As outlined in the SMH Medical Staff Bylaws and Rules and Regulations and interpreted by the Joint Commission during their survey, the following History and Physical requirements must be met prior to surgeries/procedures:
- A current, thorough physical examination must be done prior to surgery. If the patient had a history and physical examination within 30 days prior to the admission or outpatient surgery, the patient must be assessed and the medical record updated.
- A surgery or procedure is to be canceled if the H & P is not recorded and complete unless it is an emergent situation or a delay in surgery could be detrimental to the patient.
- Histories and physicals performed by residents or Allied Health practitioners must be countersigned by the admitting physician.
- Countersigning must be done prior to the surgery/procedure for the H & P to be considered complete.
Clinical Documentation Integrity - Clarification Query:
A reminder to check your ScanDocs tab daily for outstanding queries. The total number of queries, as well as the delinquent (greater than 30 days post-discharge) queries, has increased in the last few weeks.
With the transition to ICD-10 only two weeks away, it is more important than ever to be timely in completing your outstanding queries. Our goal for query responses is 48 hours to ensure timely review and coding. Thank you for your continued support and cooperation.
Please call Deb Dallos, CDI Supervisor, at 917-5447 if you have questions or need assistance with the process.
ICD-10 is coming Thursday, October 1. Are you ready?
ICD-10 Resources available to you:
ICD-9 to ICD-10 Conversion tool at www.smh.com/icd-converter
CMS website for physician practice’s route to ICD-10 www.roadto10.org2
ICD-10 documentation tips by specialty available by request at ICDemail@example.com or (941) 917-2331
Mobile applications for iPhone and Androids – go to your App Store or Google Play and enter ICD-10 or Precyse for a listing of free apps.
Thank you for taking the time to read this newsletter. Please feel free to discuss these issues and any new issues with your medical staff leaders. You are a valued physician at Sarasota Memorial Health Care System.