Expect More When You're Expecting
There is no moment in life, or in medicine, more important than the birth of a child. It is a time for celebration … and a time for certainty. Click here for a virtual tour
From the most routine births to the most complex, no other hospital in southwest Florida is as equipped to help you deliver a healthy baby (or multiples) in the most natural and safest way possible. Our team of physician specialists and obstetrical registered nurses – the only nursing staff in the region recognized with Magnet status, the nation's highest honor in nursing – will be with you during every step of the way.
Our new Courtyard Tower has three floors dedicated to Mother & Baby services, with all of the comfort amenities, technology and specialized services you need to make your childbirth experience a special one:
• Family-focused “birthing suites” spacious enough for the whole family. Labor & Delivery rooms are softly lit and designed for comfort, with mobile (wireless) fetal monitoring so you can walk about freely, birthing balls, squatting bars and hydrotherapy tubs to help ease labor pains and futons that make into a bed for so dads and visitors can relax as well. After delivery, moms and babies are moved to private suites in our deluxe Mother-Baby Unit, where they remain together throughout the hospital stay. Each room offers sleeping accommodations for dad or a supportive partner, as well as free wi-fi so that you can stay connected with friends and family and send out your baby's first photos.
• Custom childbirth plans ensure a special delivery that meets your personal desires and needs. Our experienced Labor & Delivery nurses work seamlessly with your doctor, nurse midwife, doula or personal support person to coach you through the childbirth experience. Click here for a sample birth plan.
• Natural & safe deliveries. While we strive to help you have as natural a birth experience as possible, including vaginal deliveries after a previous Cesarean (VBAC), we stand ready to help you manage your labor pains and handle any complications that may arise.
• Epidural pain management, induction services and obstetric anesthesia for scheduled or emergency Cesarean sections 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. These services are provided by Sarasota Anesthesiologists, P.A. For more information, click www.sarasotaanesthesia.com
Moms in Motion
Free prenatal and post-pregnancy fitness class
Bereavement Support: (941) 917-2468
• Newborn Screenings. Before leaving the hospital, Sarasota Memorial provides free infant hearing screenings and, per Florida Newborn Screening Guidelines, performs a simple heel prick to screen babies for more than 36 rare metabolic, endocrine, enzymatic and other genetic disorders, that if not detected and treated early, can result in serious disabilities or death. We also offer an optional Critical Congenital Heart Disease (CCHD) screening. The free screening, which uses a simple, non-invasive test called pulse oximetry, measures how much oxygen is in the blood and can help to identify babies that may be affected with CCHD before they leave the hospital.
• Discharge Celebration. Our discharge process includes a celebration on the morning of discharge for all families where we commemorate your special day with complimentary infant footprints and newborn SMH T-shirts. While you relax with some healthy snacks and drinks, our Childbirth Educator will review moms' care after delivery and newborn baby care to help keep you and your baby safe and healthy at home.
OB Hospitalists – Board-certified OB specialists are in the hospital around-the-clock and available immediately throughout the day and night to examine patients, evaluate the progress of labor, check lab results, handle emergencies and provide a safe delivery for women who do not have their own physician or whose physician requests assistance.
If you have had Baby Face Portraits taken, please click here to view your baby's portrait album