About our CRU
(Facts & Figures, 2013)
Number of Admissions
We care for about 689 patients a year on our Comprehensive Rehabilitation Unit; approximately 149 were people recovering from stroke.
Average patient age: 75
We served slightly more men (50.3 percent) than women (49.7 percent).
Type/Duration of Treatment
Every patient's experience on Sarasota Memorial's Comprehensive Rehabilitation Unit is unique; length of stay and therapy are customized to meet individual goals and needs. Average length of stay for stroke patients was 13 days.
Comprehensive Rehabilitation Unit (CRU)
Sarasota Memorial’s 34-bed Comprehensive Rehabilitation Unit (CRU) is dedicated to patients recovering from strokes, neurological disease and other disabling disorders of the muscles, bones and joints. It is medically supervised and staffed around-the-clock by the most highly skilled rehab professionals in the region.
Our team is led by a board certified physiatrist (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Physician) and includes certified rehabilitation registered nurses, occupational and physical therapists, psychologists, speech/language pathologists, nutritionists and case managers. Many others, including recreational therapists and social, vocational and pastoral counselors, also provide support.
Stroke Specialty Program: Sarasota Memorial's CRU offers the only accredited stroke specialty program in the region. Our stroke program provides education, medical management and individualized therapy to help patients return home as soon as possible and resume the daily activities they enjoyed prior to their stroke. Comprehensive rehabilitation is available for those experiencing challenges with movement, sensation, vision, eating, language and thinking. Weekly stroke education meetings are provided for patients and their family members, and the hospital welcomes community members to its free stroke support group each month.
- Sarasota Memorial’s CRU is the only hospital-based rehab unit in Sarasota County capable of providing emergency access to important hospital services and health care specialists.
- Located inside Sarasota Memorial Hospital, our rehab unit is fully accredited by CARF- the highest level of accreditation for rehab hospitals. The accreditation also certifies Sarasota Memorial as a Stroke Specialty Program provider.
- Treatment includes a minimum 3 hours daily therapy, plus weekly team conferences to evaluate patient goals and progress.
Region’s most advanced technology, including:
- Bioness® NESS L300 foot drop system, and NESS H200 hand system offer low profile, wireless, advanced functional electrical stimulation (FES) that sends low level electrical impulses to stimulate muscles in the lower leg or upper extremity allowing for movement in muscle groups impaired due to neurological disorders.
The Dynavision D2 is an FDA-cleared visuomotor and cognitive assessment/training system which may help patients to improve hand-eye coordination, reaction times and reaction speed. The Dynavision D2 Visuomotor Training System, distributed by Bioness Inc., assists therapists in the treatment of visual field deficits and visual and attention deficit disorders for certain patients with neurological conditions such as:
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Other neurological disorders and diseases
- An effective treatment approach to restoring both visual and motor function is to incorporate functional movement patterns with goal directed activities.
- LiteGait® Partial Weight Bearing Gait Training device is a gait training tool that simultaneously controls weight bearing, posture, and balance over a treadmill or over ground. LiteGait provides proper posture, reduces weight bearing, eliminates concerns for balance, and facilitates the training of coordinated lower extremity movement. Its unique harness design not only permits unilateral or bilateral support allowing progression of the weight bearing load from non to full weight bearing, but also allows the clinician to manually assist the legs and pelvis to achieve proper gait patterns.
Upon discharge, Sarasota Memorial provides a variety of follow-up services to ensure an optimal recovery, including home care, a skilled nursing & rehabilitation center and customized outpatient programs in convenient neighborhood care centers.
Admission & Referrals to CRU
For patient evaluation or a physician consultation, call the Sarasota Memorial Rehabilitation Services at 941-917-7622.