Hyperbaric oxygenation involves the use of oxygen under greater than atmospheric pressure to increase oxygen transport and metabolism. The Hyperbaric Medicine Department provides inpatient and outpatient services for patients by referral. Each patient’s treatment plan is monitored by a hyperbaric physician.
HBO is used to treat the following conditions:
- carbon monoxide poisoning
- gas gangrene
- acute/traumatic peripheral ischemia
- crush injury with suturing of severed limbs
- refractory osteomyelitis unresponsive to conventional medical/surgical management
- preservation of skin grafts and flaps
- osteoradionecrosis as an adjunct to conventional treatment
- soft tissue radionecrosis as an adjunct to conventional treatment
- progressive necrotizing infections
- air/gas embolism
- decompression sickness
The Hyperbaric Medicine Department, located on 4 Waldemere Tower, utilizes a dual-place and a mono-place chamber to provide non emergent therapy for patients. The Hyperbaric Department hours are Monday to Friday, 7am-3:30pm.