As the kids run around thrilled that summer break has begun, we need to review a few common safety issues:
- Constant supervision is an important safety step.
- Have a secure fence or gate surrounding pools and spas.
- Adding an alarm to your pool that sounds when something is wrong in the pool area, may save a life.
- Drain covers in a pool or spa are required by law. Inspect them frequently for proper functioning.
- Enroll your children in swim lessons. Drownings are 8 times more likely to happen to a child that can’t swim.
- Learn CPR.
Bike and Wheel safety
- Always wear a helmet and protective pads.
- Maintain bicycles, scooters and skate (boards) in proper working condition. Make sure brakes, gears and tires are functioning properly.
- Supervise children
- Avoid riding in or around cars.
- Follow the rules of the road.
- Use reflectors on clothing, helmets and the bike or scooter.
- Wear protective clothing, including sunglasses and large brimmed hats.
- Wear sunscreen of at least SPF15 and select water and sweat resistant products. Apply 30 minute before going out. (Talk to your pediatrician before applying sunscreen to babies under 6 months old).