Local Focus, National Acclaim
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System, an 819-bed regional medical center, is among the largest public health systems in Florida. With about 5,000 staff, over 900 physicians and 600 volunteers, it is one of Sarasota County’s largest employers. A community hospital founded in 1925, Sarasota Memorial is governed by the nine-member elected Sarasota County Public Hospital Board. It is a full-service health system, with specialized expertise in heart, vascular, cancer and neuroscience services, as well as a network of outpatient centers, long-term care and rehabilitation among its many programs. Sarasota Memorial is the only hospital in Sarasota County providing obstetrical services, pediatrics, Level III neonatal intensive care, and Level II Trauma Center.
Here are a few of the many accomplishments that recognize our focus on your care:
- Highest 5-Star rating from Medicare for quality:
- Only 2 percent of hospitals nationwide evaluated by the federal Center for Medicare & Medicaid earned the top rating for overall quality and safety, according to data released in October, 2016, and Sarasota Memorial was one of them. SMH was the only hospital in Florida and the only hospital in the region to receive five stars. Sarasota Memorial's Nursing & Rehabilitation Center also earned a 5-star rating from the federal government.
- "A" Grade for Patient Safety
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital received an “A” for patient safety, earning a top spot among America’s safest hospitals in a national safety study released by The Leapfrog Group in 2016.
U.S. News Top Performer for 2016-17:
- High Performer (top 10 percent in the nation) for Gastroenterology and GI Surgery
- One of only 63 hospitals in the nation to receive top rating in all nine conditions/procedures evaluated:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Heart Bypass Surgery
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Lung Cancer Surgery
- Colon Cancer Surgery
- Hip Replacement
- Knee Replacement
- No. 1 performer in Sarasota-Venice-North Port-Bradenton
- U.S. News Best Nursing Home for 2015
- Ranked among the 100 Top Hospitals in the nation for overall performance and in the 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals for superior heart care by Truven Health Analytics.
- HealthGrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award winner for 2016
- Magnet Recognition® from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the most prestigious distinction for nursing excellence and high-quality patient care.
- One of 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare" according to a 2016 Becker's Healthcare report.
- Number 1 Top Hospital for Emergency Heart Attack Care by BetterDoctor.
- Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification from DNV Healthcare, one of the nation’s leading accrediting organizations.
- Joint Commission certification for Congestive Heart Failure program and advanced re-certification for stroke care.
- State certified as a Comprehensive Stroke Center.
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get with the Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award and advanced certification from the Joint Commission.
- Consumer Choice Award for Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice by the National Research Corporation (NRC) for 2013-2014.
- Full three-year accreditation for Cancer Care Services from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.
- Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF) for Comprehensive Rehabilitation and Specialty Stroke programs.
- Silver Beacon Awards of Excellence for the Critical Care Unit and Cardiac Acute Telemetry Unit from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN).
- 2015 Gallup Great Workplace Award for the extraordinary ability to create an engaged workforce that drives quality, safety and superior performance.
- Recognized by the following insurers:
- Florida Blue Distinction for Cardiac Care, Spine Surgery and Hip/Knee Replacement.
- Aetna Institutes of Quality for Cardiovascular Surgery, Cardiac Intervention and Cardiac Rhythm.
- Cigna recognition for Cardiac Care, Hip Replacement, Pulmonology and Stroke.
For more information on Sarasota Memorial’s commitment and service to the community, please see our Community Impact Report.
Required Reporting, FL Statutes: Special Districts.