Local Focus, National Acclaim
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System, an 829-bed regional medical center, is among the largest public health systems in Florida. With over 5,000 staff, over 900 physicians and 600 volunteers, it is one of Sarasota County’s largest employers. A community hospital founded in 1925, Sarasota Memorial is governed by the nine-member elected Sarasota County Public Hospital Board. It is a full-service health system, with specialized expertise in heart, vascular, cancer and neuroscience services, as well as a network of outpatient centers, long-term care and rehabilitation among its many programs. Sarasota Memorial is the only hospital in Sarasota County providing obstetrical services, pediatrics, Level III neonatal intensive care, and Level II Trauma Center.
Here are a few of the many accomplishments that recognize our focus on your care:
- Highest 5-Star rating from Medicare for quality:
- Sarasota Memorial is currently the only hospital in Florida to earn the highest five-star rating for overall quality and safety from the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid. Only 2 percent of hospitals nationwide have received the top score. Sarasota Memorial's Nursing & Rehabilitation Center also earned a 5-star rating from the federal government.
- "A" Grade for Patient Safety
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital received an “A” for patient safety, earning a top spot among America’s safest hospitals in a national safety study released by The Leapfrog Group in Spring 2017 and Fall 2016.
U.S. News Top Performer for 2016-17:
- High Performer (top 10 percent in the nation) for Gastroenterology and GI Surgery
- One of only 63 hospitals in the nation to receive top rating in all nine conditions/procedures evaluated:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Heart Bypass Surgery
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Lung Cancer Surgery
- Colon Cancer Surgery
- Hip Replacement
- Knee Replacement
- No. 1 performer in Sarasota-Venice-North Port-Bradenton
- U.S. News Best Nursing Home for 2015
- Ranked among the 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals for superior heart care by Truven Health Analytics.
- Earned the highest ratings from The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) for patient care and clinical outcomes in aortic valve replacement (AVR), coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) and combination AVR/CABG surgery. The three-star ratings, which denote the highest category of quality, places SMH among the top hospitals for cardiothoracic surgery in the United States and Canada.
- HealthGrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award winner for 2016
- Magnet Recognition® from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the most prestigious distinction for nursing excellence and high-quality patient care.
- One of only 10 Nurse Residency Programs across the nation to be accredited with distinction by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Research indicates that residency programs can increase job satisfaction, reduce nurse turnover and improve clinical competence, which ultimately impacts safety and quality.
- One of Becker's Healthcare Review's "America's 100 Top Hospitals" in 2017 and "150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare" in 2016.
- Number 1 Top Hospital for Emergency Heart Attack Care by BetterDoctor.
- Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification from DNV Healthcare, one of the nation’s leading accrediting organizations.
- Joint Commission certification for Congestive Heart Failure program and advanced re-certification for stroke care.
- State certified as a Comprehensive Stroke Center.
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get with the Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award and advanced certification from the Joint Commission.
- Consumer Choice Award for Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice by the National Research Corporation (NRC) for 2013-2014.
- Full three-year accreditation for Cancer Care Services from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.
- Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF) for Comprehensive Rehabilitation and Specialty Stroke programs.
- Designated as a NICHE health system for our commitment to excellence in elder care. NICHE, or Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders, is the premier national geriatric nursing program addressing the needs of hospitalized older adults (65 and older).
- Silver Beacon Awards of Excellence for the Critical Care Unit and Cardiac Acute Telemetry Unit from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN).
- Recognized by the following insurers:
- Florida Blue Distinction for Cardiac Care, Spine Surgery and Hip/Knee Replacement.
- Aetna Institutes of Quality for Cardiovascular Surgery, Cardiac Intervention and Cardiac Rhythm.
- Cigna recognition for Cardiac Care, Hip Replacement, Pulmonology and Stroke.
For more information on Sarasota Memorial’s commitment and service to the community, please see our Community Impact Report.
Required Reporting, FL Statutes: Special Districts.